Description: Learn how to set up a blog; create and publish posts with text, audio, and video; personalize settings; and connect your blog with a larger community.
Welcome! I am excited about meeting all of you and supporting your interests in blogging.
I have set up two online “lab spaces” for us to play with, one in Blogger and one in Wordpress. Although there are a variety of platforms that can be used for blogging, these two are the most popular. If you don’t receive an email from me prior to the conference, please contact me and I will add you to these blogs so that you can play with them, too.
Please feel free to add your questions below…or try your hand at creating a post on either of the blogs. I am also adding resources for us here (because it is simpler to embed video and documents than on this wiki). If you would like to be added as a contributor there, I’ll be happy to have you along.
Since it looks like we will have a small group, expect a very “hands on” type of workshop. Here are some topics that we may want to chat about:
1. What is blogging and why would anyone want to have a blog?
2. How do I get started? (choosing a platform/hosting, template basics)
3. How can I create and publish a post? (how posting works, including adding links, graphics, video, etc.)
4. How do other people find my blog? (ways to connect and communicate your information; dealing with comments and establishing “house rules” for visitors; logging visits)
1. How do I manage the order in which posts appear in WordPress? (I added a post and it appears at the top of the page, but I think the “Welcome” post should be at the top of the page.)